Counties across the state work hard to prevent employee injuries and to increase work area safety. Each year, TAC bestows three types of safety awards to recognize county efforts to promote safety. All counties and other governmental organizations participating in the TAC Risk Management Pool’s (RMP) workers’ compensation coverage are eligible to apply for these annual safety awards.
Safety Award – Given to counties that meet the award criteria outlined below.
Gold Star Award – Given to counties with an active safety program that meets the award criteria for two consecutive years and whose upper management, governing board or commission that directs the entity’s operations exhibit support for the program.
Making a Difference Award – Given by TAC RMP risk control consultants to recognize individuals who demonstrate excellent involvement in and commitment to workplace safety.
Eligibility Criteria for 2013 Safety Award and Gold Star Award
Counties and other governmental organizations that are members of TAC RMP participating in workers compensation coverage must meet set criteria and deadlines to be eligible for either the Safety Award or the Gold Star Award.
By May 31, they must submit:
- A completed Safety Award Application. (Complete and submit online or download, complete and email to .)
- A copy of a safety resolution adopted by the commissioners court. (Sample resolution in MS Word and PDF.)
- A copy of the seat belt use policy. (Sample policy in MS Word and PDF.)
By June 28, they must:
- Complete an in-depth analysis of their slip and fall claims with the help of their TAC RMP risk control consultant. Contact your risk control consultant to arrange this if needed.
By Dec. 20, they must:
- Not exceed a loss ratio (workers’ compensation loss/manual contribution) greater than 75 percent. Applicant’s risk control consultant will calculate this ratio. Applicants must have an active accident prevention plan. (Sample plan in MS Word and PDF.) An implementation guide is included to assist you in the preparation of your plan. (Sample plan in MS Word and PDF.) If necessary, contact your risk control consultant to schedule an accident prevention plan evaluation.
Evaluation Process and Award Notification
During the selection process, each applicant will be evaluated individually by their TAC risk control consultant. TAC recognizes that the nature of many county jobs is hazardous, and loss ratios can be severely affected by an unfortunate situation at no fault of the employee. TAC consultants will consider this specific information during the selection process.
2012 TAC Safety Awards will be given at the new Pool Symposium in San Marcos on Oct.27-29.
TAC will notify award winners in January 2014.