Counties across the state work hard to prevent employee injuries and to increase workplace safety. Each year, the Texas Association of Counties Risk Management Pool (TAC RMP) presents awards to recognize counties and governmental entities for their efforts in promoting safety and innovative risk management programs.
TAC RMP members participating in the Workers’ Compensation Program are eligible to apply for the annual Safety and Gold Star awards. All TAC RMP members (not only those participating the Workers’ Compensation Program) are eligible to be nominated for the Making a Difference Award (MAD).
Safety Award – Safety Awards are given to counties and governmental organizations that meet the award criteria outlined below.
Gold Star Award – Gold Star Awards are presented to counties with an active safety program that have met the award criteria for two consecutive years, have taken the leadership to expand on the minimum criteria requirements and whose management or governing body exhibits support for the programs.
Making a Difference Award (MAD) – The MAD Award is awarded to an individual who exhibits strong leadership in promoting risk control efforts within the workplace, not limited to safety. Candidates for the award are not limited to just those responsible for safety efforts and can be any employee whose dedication or creativity has possitively affected risk management efforts within the county or oganization. The MAD award is open to anyone deserving of recognition. This may include all employees – from line employees to management, as well as elected or appointed officials.
A member may nominate an individual from their county or organization to be considered for this award.
Eligibility Criteria for 2017 Safety Award and Gold Star Awards
TAC RMP members participating in the Workers' Compensation Coverage Program must meet the criteria and deadlines below to be eligible for either the Safety Award or the Gold Star Award.
By Sept. 29, 2017, applicants must:
- Submit a completed Safety Award Application;
- Submit a copy of a seat belt use policy (sample policy in MS Word and PDF); and
- Submit an active accident prevention plan (sample plan in MS Word and PDF). An implementation guide is included to assist you in the preparation of your plan (sample plan in MS Word and PDF). If necessary, contact your risk control consultant to schedule an accident prevention plan evaluation.
Gold Star Award
- Meet Safety Award criteria (outlined above) for a minimum of two consecutive years;
- Have an active safety committee or demonstrated implementation of risk control programs to mitigate risk exposures;
- Adopt an incident review committee for law enforcement operations. Contact your risk control consultant or law enforcement consultant for assistance; and
- Provide training on the following subjects:
- Back injury prevention;
- Slip, trips and falls;
- Driver training; and
- Fire Prevention.
By Dec. 8, 2017, applicants must:
- Not exceed a loss ratio greater than 65 percent. TAC risk control consultants will calculate this ratio*.
* TAC RMP understands that the hazardous nature of many county jobs performed by county personnel can lead to unavoidable accidents greatly impacting the loss ratio. Risk consultants will consider these claims during the selection process.
Evaluation Process and Award Notification
During the selection process, each applicant will be evaluated individually by a committee of consultants that regularly work with the county to provide TAC RMP services. Award winners will be notified by Feb. 9, 2018.